Sunday 7 February 2016

Sunday - expat day of gloom

The shops are shut, all the families are united around their dinner tables, and the expats fend for themselves.

I have a few cards up my sleeve - the nearby CafĂ© Litteraire does lunch and music - either the local star Robert de Miro, who I think uses the same hair dye as me, while we munch. Or recently I witnessed a Bal Dansant, average age about 80, all in sparkles and pearls, and literally having a ball. It was contagious. That happened to be Anna's 3rd birthday and we danced till we dropped.

I have also bought up all available tickets to the local kids theatre, snatched them up in September, as they sell out by early October. Just witnessed a small theatrical marvel, best thing I've seen in grown up and children's entertainment in the past year... Jakart Company, go like them on Facebook, go find them, go see them.

And just when you think you're Sunday hasn't been too claustrophobic, just when you've bumped into a local mum from the nursery and exchanged pleasantries, with hope of perhaps a future cup of coffee or invite, Anna decides to have a melt down over not putting her coat on at the exit, and my hopes of afternoon playdates with Hugo and mum flies out the window...

No comments:

Post a Comment