Saturday 13 February 2016

A reminder of the threat to Paris...

There is always a sense of expectation when you arrive in Paris, it's often short-lived, but as I made my way to the Gare du Nord, picked up my Chinese takeaway lunch, wondered at the oddity of the house sculpture infront of the station (why and who?)



I was beginning to enjoy the adventure that lay ahead. Until the unexpected happened on the Thalys platforms. Security there is at airport level, our bags were all Xrayed in ultra-efficient and very un-French style, and the train left on time.



It is a reminder that the threat is arbitrary but real. After my initial alarm I felt some reassurance, tinged somewhat with reminders of events gone past, to which I was far too near on both occasions.

By the time I found my seat on the train, my Chinese takeaway was tepid and the chicken was gristly.  And to fast forward somewhat, on my return to Paris, I arrived ridiculously ahead of time, prepared for the same security routine and found none. Could it be that Brussels-Paris has a lesser security risk compared to Paris-Brussels? It was an uneasy ride back... and the meal was not of much comfort (yes that is purple mashed potato) and the coffee machine was on strike.


There's something about Belgian chic though that wins over the French every time. The shops are so tempting, and I made an impulse buy that made my trip worth while. Agreed it doesn't make sense to go to Brussels for Cath Kinston but this is the ultimate work-play bag - practical but funky enough to put your 13" laptop into, and with 2 very clever handles that make it a clutch bag (albeit a fairly clunky one). I am a happy lady. If I could find a matching tote to slip into it for nights out that would make my year.







No comments:

Post a Comment