Tuesday 16 February 2016

Eagles of Death Metal in Paris tonight

If I had known, would I have gone down the Boulevard des Capucines to my meeting in Paris? Possibly not. Does it feel like a manifestation of freedom when a concert has to take place in a military lock down zone? Does anyone really feel this will heal the wound?

I couldn't be gladder to leave the city tonight. My train arrives home at 10pm, and I am weary from travel. A story from the desert comes to mind : an ancient tribe of travellers on their camels on a long journey make a stop in the desert – they are neither hungry nor thirsty. Their camels are not tired. An outsider asks them why they are waiting – for our souls to catch up with us, they say.

I must have left my soul behind on many continents, it will never catch up with me. The modern world spins too fast, it is forever outpacing us.

Which takes me to the testimony of a Belgian friend and colleague from the November Paris attacks, from the rue de Charonne : “I recognize the sound of fireworks, I try to analyze what is happening, thinking it was kids joking around… Two meters away from me, I see a man, holding a huge Kalashnikov gun… they are calm, incredibly calm, the gunman next to me is almost smiling…. Now I really want to insist on this: the brain is way too slow in this situation. I finally get that this is not a joke. Something in my head screamed, run as fast as you can, every step you’re alive, you’re still alive. As I ran on, they kept on shooting for way, way, way too long. I guess that most of the people standing on the opposite sidewalk died. They were like mirrors of my stupefaction, I saw them before their last breath”.


No comments:

Post a Comment