Tuesday 9 February 2016

Post PACS depression

I just thought I'd google it to see whether this was a common event. It was in the end quite a Laurel and Hardy moment, one lady with thick set glasses who seemed to know what she was doing, and another not managing to type our details into the computer. They had to cope with an American man born in France, but not French, and then a British woman who's just plain British. Maybe its just the anticlimax of 6 months of document gathering, including a "certificat de non pourvoi" from the "Cour de Cassation" to prove that my partner's ex wife hadn't filed a suit against him in the 5 days following their divorce. It took 2 months to come through. Apparently your divorce certificate isn't worth anything without this document. Anyway, it felt very clinical, slightly tragic-comic and all in all rather depressing...

I am now hitched.

The snag in France is that if the other person dies, your civil partnership dies with them. Make sure your other half writes a will if this is the romantic way you decide to commit to each other for life...

Tomorrow I am due to do a Paris-Brussels-Paris-Limoges in 3 days, and I just want to wrap myself up in my duvet and watch the Bake Off. With a large pack of pink donuts. Followed by a bit of Janet Evanovich....?

Comfort food when you're an expat in France



No comments:

Post a Comment